All donations made to Rochester Reading Champions in February and March will be matched by the Valley of Rochester Scottish Rite.
About Rochester Reading Champions
Rochester Reading Champions is a forward looking community program that started in summer 2014. It brings trained volunteers with a passion for literacy, together with members of our community who are struggling to read, and lack means to access help.
Please call Gail Harris at 507.328.2373 for more information.
Keys to Success
By meeting students at locations that they already frequent, Rochester Reading Champions has been successful at eliminating key barriers to achievement including transportation and cost.
Our Volunteer Tutors
• Complete the 120 hour Orton-Gillingham (O-G) training, a phonics based approach, from The Reading Center
• Provide free, 1 to 1 instruction at least 2x/week, giving students between 80 -100 lessons (45-60 minutes per lesson) total.
• Receive ongoing training & support.
Our Current Program Numbers
- 27 tutors
- 56 students tutored
- 3,305 lessons for students (cumulative) valued at $165,250
- 13,872 volunteer hours (cumulative) valued at $330,797
- 11 student graduates
‘We have a young student who in the fall of 2014 (start of third grade), was reading at first grade level. He did not like or want to read. He joined our program. By summer 2015, the student completed the Library’s Summer Reading (Super Reader) Program, reading for over 20 hours. Now in 4th grade, he is reading at grade level in school. His teacher noticed he was using phonics to decode and mentioned that it was a really helpful strategy for him. It has been wonderful to watch his confidence and skills grow’.
Our Community Partners
• Rochester Public Library
• The Reading Center
• Boys & Girls Club of Rochester
• Olmsted County Adult Detention Center
• MN Teen and Adult Challenge
• Hawthorne Adult Education Center
About the training
For more information about the training required for this program, look at Reading Champions Training (PDF)
If you would like to find out more, printout the Reading Champions volunteer application (PDF) and return it to the library by mail or in person.
Rochester Reading Champions Training Dates
Check out the training dates at the Reading Center training web page.