FAQ/Policies for Other Libraries requesting materials from Rochester Public Library
Contact Interlibrary Loan Department
- Phone: 507.328.2366
- Fax: 507.328.2384
- Email: Ill Staff
Rochester Public Library
101 Second St. SE
Rochester, MN 55904-3776
Which types of materials does Rochester Public Library lend to other libraries?
Rochester Public Library [RPL] lends all types of materials, with the following exceptions:
- Titles currently in our new fiction or new nonfiction section are available for loan to Minnesota libraries, or MINITEX area libraries, but not to other out-of-state libraries.
- Reference books, including our reference genealogy collection, are not available for lending. Specific sections may be copied free of charge (up to 20 pages). Exceptions are made with the approval of the head of the reference services division.
- Microfilm is not available for lending. Request Rochester newspaper microfilm from the Minnesota State Historical Society.
- Audiovisual materials are available for lending if the requesting library is a reciprocal lender of AV materials.
How can RPL holdings be searched?
- The RPL homepage URL is www.rochesterpubliclibrary.org, which has a catalog link.
- RPL holdings are also listed on Worldcat (OCLC).
How are ILL requests submitted to RPL?
RPL accepts ILL requests by the following methods:
- SELCO/SELS libraries can request materials through the MNLINK system.
- MINITEX (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota) libraries can request RPL materials through the MINITEX document delivery system.
- Libraries using the OCLC ILL system may request materials through OCLC, although due to the large volume of requests received through OCLC, we can only fill a small percentage of these requests. Listing our OCLC code (ROC) more than once on the lending string is helpful. If placing an OCLC request is unsuccessful, contacting RPL directly is an alternative.
- Requests may be sent via email Interlibrary Loan
- Requests may be faxed to 507.328.2384.
- Requests may also be mailed to our address (listed above).
Is there a lending fee for RPL loans or copies?
- RPL generally loans materials or sends copies free of charge to requesting libraries.
- Due to high postal rates, we charge $20.00 to European libraries requesting materials on OCLC (OCLC IFM only).
- Libraries that are not reciprocal free lenders will incur a lending fee of $10 per request.
Patrons may request photocopies directly from RPL (obituaries, for example). The charge for non-library requests is 25 cents per page plus the postage cost (a bill is sent with the photocopy.)
How are RPL materials delivered to other libraries?
- Materials sent to other SELCO/SELS libraries are delivered through the SELCO courier delivery system (5 days/week).
- Materials sent to other MINITEX libraries are delivered via the SELCO delivery system to the MINITEX delivery system (5 days/week).
- Materials sent to non-MINITEX libraries are sent via U.S. mail (library rate).
- Photocopies can be mailed or faxed.
How are ILL materials returned to RPL?
We use the same delivery method that was used in sending the materials.
- Our usual loan period is our standard patron loan period, plus 2 weeks for delivery and processing time.
- For ILL requests, the book loan period is 6 weeks, and for most audiovisual materials, the loan period is 4 weeks. The loan periods may be shortened for higher demand items.
- Renewals are given for the same lending period as the original loan, unless there is a reserve list for the item. Renewals can be requested on MNLINK or OCLC.
What are the fees for lost or damaged materials?
RPL doesn't charge other libraries overdue fees. For lost or damaged materials, we charge the original inventoried price of the item, with no additional fee. Contact RPL staff to check on the cost, or request a bill. Replacement copies in good condition are accepted.