Get a Library Card
- You may get a library card by filling out this form or by applying in person at the Rochester Public Library or Bookmobile.
- You must provide a photo ID and current address verification to pick up the card at the Public Service desk.
- There is no fee for obtaining your library card. A $2.00 replacement fee will be charged if your card is lost or stolen.
- Your library card may be used at any public library in Minnesota. (You will need to register your Rochester library card number the first time you use it in each different library system in Minnesota).
- You must have your card with you when checking out materials, picking up reserved materials, or using the Internet.
- Your library card is updated every 3 years free of charge at the Library or Bookmobile.
Internet Only Guest Cards for Visitors
Visitors who do not live in Rochester may obtain a free Internet card good for up to 3 hours of Internet access per day.
- Adults (18 years and older) should get the card at the Reference Desk on the second floor
- Teens (aged 13-18) get the card at the Youth Services Desk on first floor - for using TeenScape computers.
- Children (12 years and under) get the card at the Youth Services Desk on the first floor - for Children's computers.
Out-of-State Visitor Library cards
Out-of-state visitors to Rochester may get a library card for a $1.00 fee per week. With this card, visitors can access the internet (3 hours/day - the same as local residents) and borrow items.
Renewing Expired Library Card Privileges
Every three years your library card's privilege is set to expire so that we can check to make sure that we have your up-to-date contact information. You will need to renew the card to be able to check out items, reserve an internet computer, or place a hold online. If your contact information has not changed, you may renew your card by phone at 507.328.2304 or by stopping at the Public Services desk on the first floor during your next library visit. If your contact information has changed, you will need to renew your card in person with a photo ID at the Public Services desk. Once renewed, you can continue using the same library card.
Lost Library Card Policy
If your library card is lost or stolen, please contact the library immediately
- 507.328.2304 Main Library accounts
- 507.328.2302 Bookmobile accounts
so that your account can be barred from further checkouts to protect both yourself and the library from unauthorized use. Library card holders may be liable for the replacement costs of library materials checked out on their lost or stolen card (see card holder agreement below). Replacement cards can be purchased for $2.00 at the Public Services desk on the first floor.
Library Card holder agreement
When you signed up for your library card, you signed a statement agreeing to the following:
- I accept responsibility for all items checked out on my card.
- The information provided is accurate and I accept the responsibility to keep my address, phone, and email information current so that I will receive library notices in a timely manner.
- If my card is missing or stolen, I will report it immediately to minimize library materials being checked out on my stolen card.
- If I wait more than 10 days after receiving notification of lost items checked out while my card was lost or stolen, I am responsible for the replacement costs of those items.
- I agree to notify the library if I give permission for another person(s) to use my card, and I accept responsibility for all items checked out on my card by persons that I have loaned my card to.