Applications are being accepted for TLC until Friday, January 12, 2018.
What is TLC?
Rochester Public Library’s Teen Library Council (TLC) is a forum for teens in grades 7-12:
- To have fun and meet other teens who want to make the library a better place
- To have a voice in planning library activities for teens
- To help promote library services to friends and peers
- To gain leadership skills and community service hours
What responsibilities do TLC members have?
- Attend a minimum of 9 of the regularly scheduled board meetings
- Attend a minimum of 3 library programs outside TLC meetings each year
- Set an example of appropriate library behavior for other teens and library users
- Promote RPL’s programs and services in your school and our community
- Suggest materials, programs and services for teens.
Who can join TLC?
Teens in grades 7-12 who can meet the guidelines above are eligible to join TLC. Applications will be reviewed annually in September and January.
What’s in it for you?
Being a part of TLC is fun! You get a chance to meet other teens with similar interests from all over Rochester. Your work has a direct impact in the lives of teens and people of all ages. TLC members volunteer to assist with various projects and programs throughout the year (like designing TeenScape), and have the opportunity to serve as the teen representative to the Library’s Board of Trustees. TLC members gain valuable job experience by demonstrating good attendance, dependability, creativity and developing interpersonal skills while working with staff and customers of all ages. Teens can use their TLC membership to fulfill service hour requirements for school, confirmation, honor society and other organizations. TLC members are eligible to receive letters of recommendation for job references, honor society, school and community awards, and college scholarships.
TLC meets monthly on the 4th Monday of the month from 4-5 p.m. We discuss and plan upcoming activities, talk about books, websites and programs and brainstorm ways the library can better serve teens in our community. You will earn community service hours for the time you spend at TLC meetings and the time you spend helping with programs or services at the library.