Library Strategic Plan 2017-2021
Approved by the Rochester Public Library Board on April 19, 2017
Where aspirations, ideas and knowledge converge
We strengthen community and enrich lives by sparking imagination, creativity, engagement and learning
- Identify, plan for, and support customer needs
- Seek and consider input from our customers to continually improve services
- Treat every customer well
- Treat customers in a personal and professional manner while being firm, fair, and compassionate
- Be an active listener to the customer
- Maintain a work environment that is free of disrespect and false information
- Provide equitable and honest treatment to all customers
- Follow through in a timely manner or as communicated
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality as applicable to Minnesota State laws
- Employees act responsibly and take ownership of their actions
- Each department/area has documented safety procedures for employees and customers
- Communicate clearly when dealing with emergencies or safety concerns
- Be knowledgeable in my area of responsibility
- Be professional in my actions, manners, and appearance
- Meet or exceed customer needs for City services
Rochester Public Library Core Values
Committed to Intellectual Freedom
Access for all
Exceptional library service
We live out these values by following the Four Cs:
- We champion collaboration by working together and with community partners to meet goals and develop positive relationships, while maintaining open communication.
- We embrace creativity by being innovative, open to new ideas, and willing to try new things while having fun.
- We engage in the community by harnessing the talents and resources of our community and connecting individuals in order to achieve individual and community dreams.
- We care about each other, our customers, the community and what we do.
- Welcoming Environment – We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place. This is reflected through creating policies and practices that ensure safety for the public and the staff, providing exceptional customer service, maintaining physical space, and providing an inclusive and non-judgmental place to gather or reflect.
- Committed to Intellectual Freedom – We are committed to intellectual freedom and the need for the library collection to represent many different points of view. Individuals are responsible for making their own choices regarding appropriateness of materials, and parents/guardians are responsible for the choices made for their children.
- Access for All – We are committed to providing basic library services at no charge. Some optional services may carry a fee. Access to library service and electronic information will not be denied because of inability to pay fees. We serve all users fairly and equitably.
- Respectful Inclusive -- We honor diversity and are inclusive. We seek to represent all people in our collections, programs, services, workforce and other areas.
- Exceptional Library Service – We are committed to providing quality library service with a smile. We are committed to providing prompt, objective, confidential, and knowledgeable responses to requests for assistance.
Library Service Responses
Connect to the Online World: Bridging the Digital Divide
The library provides high-speed Internet access and assistance in the use of software, hardware, and social media programs with no unnecessary restrictions or fees.
Create and Nurture Young Readers: Growing Early Literacy
The library provides programs, services and space designed to ensure that children will enter school ready to learn to read and write and continue to be successful readers and writers throughout their lives.
Satisfy Curiosity & Stimulate Imagination:
The library provides materials in multiple formats, opportunities and space for enrichment, interaction, community engagement, education and entertainment.
Information Literacy: Empowering Information Seekers
The library provides customers with the resources and assistance to search for, locate, evaluate and effectively use information to resolve an issue or answer a question.
Know Your Community: Connecting Neighbors
The library connects customers to a wide variety of programs, services, talents, resources and activities provided by agencies, organizations and individuals throughout the community.
Succeed in School:
The library provides students with the resources and services they need to succeed in school.
Be an Informed Citizen:
The library provides a safe forum for civil discussion of public issues and information to fulfill civic responsibilities at the local, state and national levels so that citizens can fully participate in community decision making.
Learn to Read and Write:
The library provides youth and adults the support they need to improve their literacy skills and meet their personal goals.
The library provides opportunities for customers to explore and enrich their potential to enhance their lives, their work, their community and their world through self-exploration and collaboration.
Goal 1: Grow Literacy and the Ability to use Library and Information Resources
Initiative A: Children start school ready to learn to read and write.
Library Service Response – Create and Nurture Young Readers: Growing Early Literacy
- Parents understand the five early literacy practices
- Children have access to books and early learning opportunities where they are
Initiative B: Community members’ basic literacy needs are addressed
Library Service Response – Learn to Read and Write: Growing Youth and Adult Literacy
- At risk struggling readers improve their reading skills
- Community has access to materials which support improvement in reading skills
Initiative C: Information seekers get answers through greater assistance and relevant education
Library Service Response – Information Literacy: Empowering Information Seekers
- Library users have "just-in-time" access to up-to-date resources and staff assistance both individually and in group learning sessions
Initiative D: Students will have enhanced opportunities to help them succeed in school and beyond
Library Service Response – Succeed in School: Developing Successful Learners
- Students build life and learning skills
- Students have increased awareness of Library services and opportunities
- The Library collaborates with youth service organizations
- Library staff continue to learn what students need to be successful
Goal 2: Engage the Community
Initiative A: Community members increase engagement through interactive programming and partnerships
Library Service Response – Satisfy Curiosity & Stimulate Imagination: Supporting Lifelong Learning & Leisure
- Customers get material they want in the format they want and in a timely way
- People engage in new programs that allow them to share knowledge and passion
- The Library increases collaboration with community organizations and individuals
Initiative B: Individuals feel part of the community through inclusion and connection
Library Service Response – Know Your Community: Connecting Neighbors
- The Library grows as a community connection center
- Increased opportunities for people of all ages, cultures, and abilities to connect and engage with others
- The Library reaches people where they are to increase engagement and access
- The library reflects the diversity of the community in its collections and programming
- The Library creates a more equitable community through partnerships and by offering programs and services to all
Initiative C: Community members increase participation in and awareness of citizenship rights and responsibilities
Library Service Response – Be an Informed Citizen: Increasing Civic Engagement
- People find information and support for citizenship
- The library provides opportunities for engagement related to civic issues
Initiative D: Community members have expanded opportunities for creative expression and innovation
Library Service Response – Express Creativity: Innovating Our Future
- New programs and forums identified to express creativity and innovation
- Intergenerational partnerships are expanded
Goal 3: Build Infrastructure to Meet Community Needs
Initiative A: Community members have access to space to meet community needs as defined by the rest of the strategic plan
Library Service Response: All
- The Library expands its space to fulfill the strategic plan
- The Library uses community and partner space creatively to fulfill the strategic plan
- The Library incorporates community feedback into fulfilling space needs
Initiative B: Community and staff access the digital world utilizing the latest technology
Library Service Response – Connect to the Online World: Bridging the Digital Divide
- Patrons and staff have increased access to the latest and greatest technology
- Patrons have free access to the Internet in order to meet daily needs
Initiative C: The community understands the benefits of the library and its services, and the community has confidence in the library’s stewardship and effectiveness
Library Service Response – All
- Community members have better awareness of Library services and opportunities
- Library staff participate in creating and implementing library messaging
Initiative D: Community members experience excellent customer service through well-trained staff.
Library Service Response: All
- Leadership is developed.
- Volunteers and staff are trained and supported.
- A culture of learning, creativity, and customer service flourishes throughout the organization.