Revised and Adopted by the Rochester Public Library Board on June 17, 2015
Purpose of the Pamphlet Racks
The purpose of the library's pamphlet racks is to make available free copies of pamphlets and brochures that inform the public about:
- Rochester Public Library and library-related services;
- social services and community activities; and
- other matters of general interest.
Procedures for Placing Pamphlets in Racks
Only designated library staff may place pamphlets in the racks.
Patrons who wish to provide pamphlets for placement in the racks may bring the pamphlets to the Library Director's office or the Public Services desk. The agency is responsible for maintaining the supply of pamphlets to the library.
Criteria for Acceptability of Pamphlets
The library does not restrict material on the basis of its political, religious, economic or social point of view. Material is not judged unsuitable merely because it espouses controversial or unpopular opinions; however, placement of pamphlets in the racks does not imply library endorsement.
No pamphlet or other literature will be accepted unless it includes contact information of the individual or group which produced it.
The library reserves the right to restrict the number of pamphlets displayed and the quantity of each pamphlet displayed. The criteria for that judgment are the following:
- The amount of space available.
- The length of time a pamphlet has been displayed. If the racks become full, designated library staff will make space for new unsolicited pamphlets by removing unsolicited pamphlets that have been displayed the longest. If space becomes available, pamphlets that have been removed may be displayed again.
The pamphlets may describe services for which a fee is charged, so long as the pamphlet clearly states that the services are not free.
The following materials are not acceptable in the pamphlet racks:
- Notices, advertisements, or information about commercial products or services for sale by for-profit
- Notices, advertisements, or information about individual, neighborhood, or estate sales