Zinio offers digital copies of popular magazines that library users can view online and/or download to compatible computers and devices. The library currently subscribes to 100+ titles.
With your Library Zinio Account:
- Read entire magazines online cover-to-cover as if you were reading the print version
- You can check out as many magazines as you want for as long as you want
- You never need to return digital magazines
- You never have overdue fees for digital magazines
- Every magazine in the library's Zinio digital magazine collection (magazines published April 2013 - present) is always available
Getting Started with Zinio
- Get started by reading the instructions for setting up a Zinio Account.
- Zinio works best in Chrome, Firefox and Safari internet browsers.
- Sign up for a Zinio account at the library's Zinio page.
- Once you have an account set up, you can log into the library's Zinio page and select magazines to read online.
- If you want to download magazines to compatible devices for off-line reading, download the appropriate app from the bottom of the library's Zinio page, install it and log in with your username and password.
What is Zinio?
Zinio is a digital magazine subscription service that allows Rochester Public Library patrons to access full digital copies of magazines online or download them to compatible devices.
Which magazines are available through Zinio?
We currently have over 100 magazines – they are generally popular magazines. Some titles include People, Rolling Stone, PC World, Cosmopolitan, Food Network Magazine, Newsweek, Car and Driver, Elle, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, National Geographic, Popular Science, O – The Oprah Magazine, Redbook. The entire list can be found at the Rochester Public Library Zinio page
We do not subscribe to every single magazine available through Zinio.
Do we have access to back issues of magazines?
Our Zinio subscription began in April 2013, so we have access to back issues of our magazine titles from April 2013 – present.
Why don't some magazines have the latest issues (like Consumer Reports)?
Consumer Reports is no longer available for libraries through Zinio (although you can access Consumer Reports Online on the library's website). The library is allowed to keep older issue of magazines that it used to subscribe to.
How many magazines can you check out?
You can check out an unlimited number of magazines at a time.
How long can you have a Zinio magazine checked out?
There is no checkout period. You can keep a magazine for as long as you like.
How many people can check out a particular magazine at one time?
There is no limit to the number of people checking out a specific issue. All magazines are available at all times to all patrons.
How do I return a Zinio magazine?
Magazines do not need to be returned. If you download a copy to your computer/device you can keep it as long as you want or delete it when you are finished.
Are there any overdue fees?
There are never any overdue fees.
How can I read a Zinio digital magazine?
There are two ways to view a Zinio digital magazine:
- You can view magazines on a PC, Mac, or most devices that have a web browser and an internet connection. No additional software is necessary to view a Zinio magazine with this method, however you do need to have an active internet connection and your browser must have Flash installed.
- You can download the free Zinio Reader 4 app that will allow you to download copies of the magazines to your compatible computer/device so you can read magazines even when you are not connected to the web.
Which devices will allow me to download copies of Zinio digital magazines to view when I’m not online?
Currently the Zinio Reader 4 is available for Windows PCs (including Windows 8), Mac, Android phones/tablets, iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook HD/HD+, and BlackBerry Playbook.
There are links for downloading the software on the library’s Zinio page here.
Setting Up Zinio
You need to set up both at Library Zinio Account and a Personal Zinio account. It is highly recommended that you use the same email and password for both.
Why is Zinio asking me to pay for a magazine?
Zinio is also a commercial site and sells digital subscriptions to individuals. The library magazines do not cost anything. When you are choosing your magazines, be sure to do it from the Library’s Zinio site not the commercial Zinio site (www.zinio.com).
I got an email for $10 to spend at the Zinio site – how do I use that?
Zinio will sometimes send out a $10 voucher to new subscribers. This is for their commercial site and has nothing to do with your access to library subscriptions which are always free.If you choose to use it, you will have to give Zinio your credit card number and set up a recurring renewal to the subscription they choose. This is entirely up to you if you wish to do it.