What are the statistics on your current building?
- Built in 1994/95
- Opened to the public October 1995
- Square footage: 85,470
- Total Cost: $11,982,557 (of this amount, $1,256,485 was Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment)
- Open 66 hours per week during the school year
What's the population you serve?
- Rochester and Olmsted County - 141,985
- Number of registered patrons (city & county): 76,747
Tell me about your collection
- We have 456,471 items (excluding subscriptions)
- In 2014 items circulated (checked out) 1,595,079
- main library: 1,457,952
- bookmobile: 137,127
- city circulation: 1,249,268
- county circulation: 239,216
- other: 106,495
How many employees do you have?
- As of 12/31/2014 there are 51.02 authorized staff AND
- Approximately 71.36 FTE including part-time staff and student pages
- The Library Operating budget is funded from three primary sources: City Property taxes, County
appropriation and library fees/revenues. The 2017 Operating Budget of $7,396,418
is funded as follows:
General Property Taxes $ 6,238,060.00
PERA Aid $ 13,633.00
State Grants $ 5,000.00
County Appropriation $ 937,394.00
Fines & Fees $ 170,600.00
Investment Income $ 6,000.00
Prior Year Revenue $ 25,731.00
GRAND TOTAL $ 7,396,418.00
Comparing 1995 to 2015
1995 statistics - total item circulation - 1,070,714
2014 statistics - total item circulation - 1,638,503
(53 % increase 1995-2014)
1995 - Total items in collection - 286,917
2015 (September) - Total items in collection - 485,883
(69 % increase 1995-2015)
2,506 items are returned through the AMH each day
1995 - Attendance - 422,185
2014 - Main Library Attendance - 492,845
2014 - Bookmobile Attendance - 26,251
2014 - Total Attendance - 519,096
(33 % increase 1995-2014)
1995 - 8,401 people
2014 - 97,110 people
(1060 % increase 1995-2014)
Homebound and Deposit Stats
2014 - 27,100 items checked out
30 deposit agencies
48 Homebound patrons
2014 - Bookmobile Attendance - 26,251 people
2014 - Bookmobile Circulation - 137,127 items
77 bookmobile stops
Green Bookmobile - Hybrid Engine
Rooftop Solar Panels - which provide 100% of the electricity needed to run the bookmobiles, lights, heating/cooling and computers.
Many furnishings made of recycled materials or with low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds)
TS Material Processing
2014 - 42,869 physical items added
Books - 30,897 (9,903 were books that had holds when they arrived at RPL; an average of 835 books processed per month had holds)
DVDs - 6,704
CDs and CDROMs - 3,710
Games - 262
Kits - 107
Averaged 3,572 physical items added per month.
There were records added for 19,224 digital items.
Types of Library Materials:
- Books (adult/juvenile/YA) - fiction, nonfiction, regular print, large print, comic books, graphic novels, board books, picture books, books with CDs, etc.
- DVDs (adult/juvenile) - Action, Western, Mystery, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Comedy, Drama, and a huge International collection.
- Spoken word CDs (adult/juvenile/YA) - fiction, nonfiction
- Music CDs (adult/juvenile)
- Games (juvenile) - for PS3, PS4, Xbox One, XBOX 360, Wii, Wii U, CD-ROM
- Kits - Kits for Kids, RPL Science Fun to Go, Consider the Conversation, Book Group in a Bag, Book Group in a Bag for Kids
- Magazines (adult/juvenile/YA)
2,127 books were mended in 2014
Projects to make it easier to organize and find materials:
- Separated out the Action DVDs into their own genre category.
- Reclassifying the children's informational books out of the Dewey Decimal Classification and into Book Map, a whole-language approach to classification.
- Adding RFID tags to the entire collection. This allows for quicker and more accurate checking in/checking out of materials.
Interlibrary Loan Stats
1995 - 16,673 - Borrowed 1995 - 7,363 - Loaned 1995 - Total - 24,036 items
2014 - 17,478 - Borrowed 2014 - 18,691 - Loaned 2014 - Total - 36,169
(50 % increase 1995-2014)
2014 - 516 Magazine Subscriptions
2014 - 7415 magazines added
2014 - 10,258 Circulated
- 1995 - Foundation didn't exist! The Library run an annual fund drive and raised about $21,000.
- 2014 - Foundation gave $77,080 to the library
- 1995 - Bookstore sales $7,316; The Friends gave a total of $15,605.
- 2014 - Bookstore sales $48,000; The Friends gave $112,254 to the library.
- Volunteer Hours
- 1998 - 9,607.25 (We didn't have 1995 statistics easily accessible, so we used 1998.)
- 2014 -- 17,386