eBooks at the Library
The Rochester Public library has over 10,000 eBooks in its collection that can be read on your computer and/or downloaded to your compatible device to read.
Search the eBook Collections by Provider
- OverDrive eBooks (popular fiction & nonfiction eBooks) DETAILED SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
- EBSCO eBooks (reference/nonfiction/research eBooks) DETAILED SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
- eBooks MN (Minnesota authors) DETAILED SETUP INSTRUCTIONS
Getting OverDrive eBooks
With OverDrive, you can borrow and enjoy free eBooks, audiobooks, and more from your library's digital collection. All you need to get started is an internet connection, a library card, and these three steps
Visit the library's OverDrive search page to view the library's digital collection and browse for titles
Use your library card to borrow a title. Titles you've borrowed will appear on your Bookshelf under your Account.
On your Bookshelf, you'll find options for enjoying each borrowed title, like Read (read an eBook in your browser usingOverDrive Read or MediaDo Reader, Play, stream a video in your browser), Send to NOOK (send a magazine or newspaper to your NOOK or free NOOK app), and Download (available for eBooks, audiobooks, music, and some videos).
The Digital Catalog collection also features downloadable audio books, movies, and music.
Questions? Email us or call 507.328.2305 or 507.328.2309.
Getting EBSCO eBooks
- For Apple or Andriod devices: download the EBSCO eBooks app for Android or Apple Devices
- For Mac or PC: download the Adobe Digital Editions software for your computer.
- For Kindle Fire users: Consult the Kindle Fire page for options for PDF EBSCO ebooks
- Set up an EBSCOhost account
- Check out an eBook in the EBSCO eBook catalog
- View eBook online or download to computer/device for offline viewing
- Full instructions available here.
Getting books from eBooks Minnesota*
The eBooks Minnesota collection covers a wide variety of subjects and features content from our state's independent publishers. Any book may be checked out or read online at any time and books do not need to be returned. There are no limits or overdue fees for this collection.
For portable devices:
- For portable devicesDownload the BiblioBoard Library app: Apple Devices, Android Devices, Kindle Fire HD
- Install the BiblioBoard Library App
- Create a BiblioBoard Account
- Use the app to search for and download eBooks
- Full instructions available here
To read on your computer screen using your browser
- Go to the eBooks MN website
- Create an account
- Search for eBooks to read on your computer screen
* Please note that you don't need to create an account to read books online, but in order to download eBooks, you need an account. Accounts must be created while you are using an internet connection in the state of Minnesota - otherwise you may be directed to another state's website. Once you have an account, you can log in and download Minnesota ebooks using an internet connection outside of Minnesota.
Questions? Email us or call 507.328.2309.
eBook Device Compatability Chart
OVERDRIVE ADOBE EPUB & PDF EBOOKS*
|KINDLE FIRE, HD||Yes, with Overdrive app||Yes||Yes, for PDF books with the Bluefire app|
BLACKBERRY(Support Discontinued- OMC App No Longer available as of April 10, 2014)
|Only with legacy Overdrive app||Yes, with Kindle app||No|
|WINDOWS 7 PHONE||Yes||Yes, with Kindle app||No|
IPAD (except1st Generation iPad for Overdrive)
|Yes||Yes, with Overdrive or Kindle app||Yes, with EBSCO eBook App|
|ANDROID OS PHONES / TABLETS||Yes||Yes, with Overdrive or Kindle app||Yes, with EBSCO eBook App|
|WINDOWS PCS||Yes||Yes, with Adobe Digital Editions or Kindle app||Yes|
|MAC||Yes||Yes, with Adobe Digital Editions or Kindle app||Yes|
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 507.328.2305 or email us.